The deadline is fast approaching to submit your audition videos to be a part of the YouTube Symphony Orchestra. We hope that you have been practicing, as your last chance to upload your two audition videos is 9pm PST on January 28. Need any last minute instruction? There are masterclasses available from members of the London Symphony Orchestra along with tutorials provided by those classical musicians who are also auditioning, like BenChanViolin and NinaFlute.
1) Visit youtube.com/symphony and click "Prepare."
2) Select your instrument of choice and download the sheet music for "The Internet Symphony."
3) Click the Video #2 tab and pick one of the recommended public domain compositions.
4) Practice, practice, practice.
5) Record two videos of yourself playing each piece. Don't worry about having a professional camera crew -- we prefer something up close that zooms in on your performance and showcases your passion for music. Just make sure that the sound is turned on!
Finalists will be chosen by a judging panel and, next month, will be voted on by the YouTube community. Those selected will to travel to New York City in April 2009 to participate in the YouTube Symphony Orchestra summit, and perform at Carnegie Hall under the direction of Michael Tilson Thomas. Here's the Maestro himself discussing the opportunity this unique collaborative orchestra project offers.
The YouTube Team